The External Relations Coordinator will play a significant role in managing all aspects of relationships with Openlands’ external stakeholders. This is a full time, non-exempt position. It includes management of communication with the general public, social media followers, and assisting with communication with stakeholders such as the press, donors, and volunteers. Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Coordinator will help foster a thoughtful and exciting communications strategy for the organization that impacts growth in both friend-raising and fundraising and brings increased awareness to the impactful work of Openlands.
Social Media (30%)
- Build the strategy and manage the content and interactions on Openlands’ four social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram.
- Collaborate with the Development team to build the strategy and manage Openlands hashtag and fundraising campaigns.
- Collaborate with Openlands departments and program leads to ensure comprehensive representation on social media platforms and post staff social media requests.
- Train staff and board members on social media platforms.
- Interact with partners on social media, forging new relationships while stewarding and expanding existing relationships.
- Grow follower numbers by liking relevant posts and comments, boosting posts, and engaging influencers.
analyze, and report meaningful metrics to senior staff and the Communications
Committee of the Board of Directors on the performance of Openlands strategies
in these areas:
- Media hits
- Social media engagement
- Web traffic
- E-mail engagement and conversion
Digital Storytelling and Content Management (30%)
- Create movies and photo content to tell the Openlands story for online and at event messaging.
- Work with Director of Communications to design advertisements and marketing pieces that demonstrate Openlands’ impact and mission.
- Work with program staff to document all public upcoming events for the organization to be added to online calendar.
- Submit and advertise public events to organizational partners and influencers.
- Manage stories and content on Openlands’ Editorial Calendar.
- Manage the online giving system, Network for Good.
- Assist Director of Communications in management of openlands.org, editing webpages and making necessary improvements. Work with program staff to manage the EventsNow online ticketing system.
E-Mail and Print Communications (25%)
- Collaborate with the Development team to manage execution of all e-appeals, including Spring Giving, Year End Giving, and any on-line solicitation campaigns.
- Assist in the creation of monthly E-Openlander. Work with the Communications team and Openlands staff to write blogs, develop news pieces and other stories.
- Create and send monthly Upcoming Events e-mail.
- Create and send e-mail communications for the Annual Luncheon including Save the Date, invitation, information updates, and wrap up/thank you e-mail.
- Create email campaigns as needed for board events, development events, and other announcements.
- Manage the firstname.lastname@example.org email, delegating all inquiries to the appropriate Openlands department.
- Act as the point of contact with the mail house for all mailings, including two Openlanders, the Annual Report, and the Openlands Annual Luncheon.
- Pull and edit mailing lists, send invoices, and send materials to the mail house, while making sure proper specs are met to maintain nonprofit mailing rates.
Media and Public Relations (15%)
- Assist Director of Communications in writing of press releases as needed, including interviews and staff assignments.
- Create press lists for specific stories using two press databases; manage contacts as needed.
- Inform Openlands staff of relevant news stories as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience with marketing software such as Adobe photoshop and indesign, wordpress and constant contact
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to attend offsite events and activities outside traditional office hours
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially Excel
- Experience with donor database software preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to Openlands’ vision, mission and values.
- Bachelor’s Degree (i.e., arts administration, public relations, journalism)
- Two to three years of communications and/or fundraising experience
Salary range is market competitive. Benefits include health, life, and disability coverage, a 403(b) retirement plan, paid holidays and vacation time. Openlands is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. Openlands does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws.
Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Openlands is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
This position is open until filled. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter explaining why your skills and experience would complement this position to JobApps@openlands.org. Please include “External Relations Coordinator” in the subject line.
Loop office is ADA accessible.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and scanners. Employee is regularly required to talk, hear, see, and communicate effectively via computer.
Smoke- and drug-free environment