In this 30 minute activity, students will learn the basics of birds and bird watching by looking out their windows and noting the birds that they see.
This activity will take approximately 30 minutes.
- Online fillable pdf of BIMN Student Journal
- BIMN Teacher Guide (optional)
- Writing and drawing utensils
- Bird Walk Check List
- BIMN Bird Walk Bingo!
- Internet connection (preferred but not mandatory)
Ready? Head to the Classroom!
Allow your students to think freely and practice typing/writing. Ask the students to use their BIMN Student Journal to answer these questions:
- What do you already know about birds? Use page 4 to write down as many things as you already know.
- Can you name any birds that you already know? Use page 5 to record the names of birds that you already know.
- What do you want to know about birds? Use page 6 to record all your questions.
Share the Learning
If possible, discuss students’ answers with them or have them take a picture of their answers and send them to you.
Have students birdwatch while looking out of their windows or on their porch and note what they see. Use the BIMN Bird Walk Bingo! Sheet to circle the birds they see.
- What is the weather like?
- What birds do you see?
- What colors and shapes are they?
- How many different sounds, songs, or calls, can you hear?
Want to learn more? Check out this video! All about Birds (4 minutes)
See you next week!