Openlands’ forestry team is always in need of volunteers to assist with community greening. Listed here are the upcoming TreeKeepers events, tree plantings and prunings, and tree ID walks. If you are interested in attending an event, please be sure to register in advance!
- Tree Walk at Garfield Park Conservatory, Friday, July 19Jul 19, 2019 10:00 AM Join us for our seasonal walk around the Conservatory's grounds focusing on tree identification and appreciation. We will on the front steps on the Conservatory. 300 N Central Park Ave, Chicago, IL 60624 Read more »
- Advocacy Workshop, Wednesday, July 24Jul 24, 2019 6:00 PM TreeKeepers are invited to learn how to advocate for the urban forest and communicate with elected officials. Light snacks will be provided. We are also looking for TKs ready to engage their elected officials regarding tree and urban forestry issues. If you are interested, please complete this form. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions. Read more »
- Loyola- Leone Park Tree Walk, Saturday, July 27Jul 27, 2019 10:00 AM Join TreeKeepers for a walk around Loyola Park and Leone Park in Roger's Park, emphasizing newly planted and mature specimens of the same species. This event is part of The Leone Beach Park Advisory Council’s monthly nature programs. Please contact TK Ruta with questions. CEUs will be available for Certified Arborists. Read more »
- Beverly Park Mulching Event, Saturday, August 10Aug 10, 2019 10:00 AM We are looking for TreeKeepers and volunteers to help mulch about 50 trees at Beverly Park. Veteran TK Cheryl Williamson is once again leading this event. Tour the neighborhood afterward to see the many mature oak trees that Beverly has to offer! Read more »
- Pilsen Tree Walk, Thursday, August 15Aug 15, 2019 12:00 PM Join us for a casual tree walk in Pilsen, learning about what trees have been planted, what trees are thriving, and learning about the neighborhood's history. Following the walk, we'll gather for food and socializing at a local establishment. Please bring a water bottle. CEUs will be available for Certified Arborists. Read more »
- Tree Walk at Independence Park, Sunday, September 8Sep 8, 2019 12:00 PM Openlands TreeKeepers Program Manager Al De Reu will lead a tour to see and discuss newly planted as well as mature trees. We will focus on tree identification, the importance of trees, and appreciation. Meet outside the eastern entrance of the fieldhouse 3945 N. Springfield, Chicago, IL 60618. Please bring a water bottle. CEUs will be available for Certified Arborists. Read more »
- TreeKeepers Course, fall 2019Sep 22, 2019 10:00 AM TreeKeepers work throughout the region to keep trees healthy, administering proper care and promptly recognizing and reporting harmful pests. Since 1991, more than 2,000 trained volunteers have provided “eyes and ears on the ground” year round in neighborhoods all over Chicagoland to identify potential tree-related problems and lead neighbors in tree planting and tree care. Learn more about TreeKeepers. The dates and times for the classes are as follows: Sunday 9/22/2019 – Class #1: 10am-2pm. Thursday 9/26/2019 – Class #2: 6-8:30pm. Sunday 9/29/2019 – Class #3: 10am-2pm. Thursday 10/3/2019 – Class #4: 6-8:30pm. Sunday 10/6/2019 – Class #5: 10am-2pm. Thursday 10/10/2019 – Class #6: 6-8:30pm. Sunday 10/13/2019 – Class #7: 10am-2pm. Thursday 10/17/2019 – Class #8: 6-8:30pm. Read more »
- Individual Volunteer HoursDec 14, 2016 12:02 AM This service project is a place for Openlands volunteers to log hours they've spent volunteering on an individual basis. This could include pruning, planting, general tree care, and advocacy. To add hours, simply log into your CERVIS account, select "Individual Volunteer Hours" under "Service Projects", and let us know what you've been up to! Read more »
- Spotted Lantern Fly Workshop, Thursday, August 8Aug 8, 2019 6:00 PM The Chicago Bureau of Forestry is looking to train TKs to monitor for Spotted Lantern Fly, a new pest that poses a threat to our urban forest. TKs will learn about susceptible species, and how to use an app to note locations where SLF is detected. CEU's will be available for certified arborists. Email TreeKeepers Program Manager Al De Reu at Adereu@openlands.org with questions. Read more »
- Fall TreeKeepers Course Pruning, Sunday, September 29Sep 29, 2019 11:00 AM TreeKeepers with excellent pruning skills are requested to help with the pruning practical for the spring TreeKeepers course. Arrive at 11am for snacks. Pruning will start shortly after. Bring your own tools if you have them, but we will have tools for the class. Read more »
For more information on upcoming forestry events, please contact email@example.com or call 312.863.6271.