Openlands’ forestry team is always in need of volunteers to assist with community greening. Listed here are the upcoming TreeKeepers events, tree plantings and prunings, and tree ID walks. If you are interested in attending an event, please be sure to register in advance!
- Ninos Heroes Elementary Planting, Thursday, May 23ndMay 23, 2019 10:00 AM Work with Ninos Heroes Elementary staff, students and parents to plant 10 new trees around their campus. Please follow these additional instructions below to volunteer on CPS grounds! When volunteers are working with Openlands at school sites during the school day when students are present, they are required to register on CPSvolunteers.org. Typically, outside groups working with Openlands schools will be considered “Level II” volunteers. A background check/fingerprinting is not required for these volunteers, but they must be registered in advance of the volunteer event. Each individual participant will be required to register using the following steps - these are the steps for first time registrants. 1. Navigate to CPSvolunteers.org2. Click the link under “Volunteers” that says “Complete A Volunteer Application”3. In the new window, select your preferred language4. Select New Volunteer5. In the Basic Information box, complete at least the starred (required) boxes (First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, Gender); volunteers can enter additional information as they see fit.6. In the School/Organization to Volunteer section, select the following:a. School/Organization: [Ninos Heroes]b. Volunteer Type: Level II7. In the Additional Information, complete at least the starred boxes (Address, City, State, ZIP, Cell Phone)8. In the Login Information box, complete at least the starred boxes (Email Address, Password, Confirm Password) - this will become your login to the system once the registration is completed.9. Complete the question about volunteering to coach; for Openlands events, this will be no.10. Complete the remaining questions as you deem appropriate11. Select the two required check boxes to certify that you have read the CPS Volunteer Policy and that you agree with the terms.12. Select the green box to Submit Application Volunteers may receive an email confirmation of their registration that says they need to stop at the school and show their ID to complete their registration. This does not need to be completed in advance of the event; rather, volunteers should bring their ID to the event as the school may check it then. Read more »
- Mills Park (Oak Park) Mulching Workday, Friday, May 31May 31, 2019 8:30 AM Join the West Cook TreeKeepers and the Park District of Oak Park in mulching approximately 70 trees in Mills Park. Please bring your own gloves and a water bottle. Tools will be available. Email TreeKeepers Program Manager Al De Reu at Adereu@openlands.org with questions. Read more »
- Welles Park Mulching Workday, Saturday, June 1Jun 1, 2019 9:00 AM Join TKs Jeanne M and Linda T in mulching trees at Welles Park. This will be in collaboration with the Welles Park Greening Committee’s Spring Work Day. This event is part of the Chicago Parks Foundation "It's Your Park Day". Sign up on their site to get a t-shirt and refreshments that day. Email TreeKeepers Program Manager Al De Reu at Adereu@openlands.org with questions. Read more »
- TreeKeepers Course, Summer 2019Jun 4, 2019 6:00 PM TreeKeepers work throughout the region to keep trees healthy, administering proper care and promptly recognizing and reporting harmful pests. Since 1991, more than 2,000 trained volunteers have provided “eyes and ears on the ground” year round in neighborhoods all over Chicagoland to identify potential tree-related problems and lead neighbors in tree planting and tree care. Learn more about TreeKeepers. The dates and times for the classes are as follows: Tuesday 6/4/2019 – Class #1: 6-9pm. Thursday 6/6/2019 – Class #2: 6-9pm. Tuesday 6/11/2019 – Class #3: 6-9pm. Thursday 6/13/2019 – Class #4: 6-9pm. Tuesday 6/18/2019 – Class #5: 6-9pm. Thursday 6/20/2019 – Class #6: 6-9pm. Tuesday 6/25/2019 – Class #7: 6-9pm. Thursday 6/27/2019 – Class #8: 6-9pm. Read more »
- Northwest Side Tree ID Bike Ride, Saturday, July 13Jul 13, 2019 11:30 AM Join Openlands' TreeKeepers Program Manager Al De Reu for a leisurely biking tour of Gomper's Park and LaBagh Woods. International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) continuing education credits will be available for certified arborists. Read more »
- Advocacy Workshop, Wednesday, July 24Jul 24, 2019 6:00 PM TreeKeepers are invited to learn how to advocate for the urban forest and communicate with elected officials. Light snacks will be provided. We are also looking for TKs ready to engage their elected officials regarding tree and urban forestry issues. If you are interested, please complete this form. Email email@example.com with questions. Read more »
- Individual Volunteer HoursDec 14, 2016 12:02 AM This service project is a place for Openlands volunteers to log hours they've spent volunteering on an individual basis. This could include pruning, planting, general tree care, and advocacy. To add hours, simply log into your CERVIS account, select "Individual Volunteer Hours" under "Service Projects", and let us know what you've been up to! Read more »
- Hyde Park Pruning Workday, Wednesday, May 29May 29, 2019 10:00 AM Join the Hyde Park TreeKeepers in pruning trees on 59th Street, west of Woodlawn Avenue. Please bring your own tools, gloves, a water bottle, and eye protection if you have them. Tools will be provided if you don't have your own. This event is being led by TK Nancy Joseph, and the Hyde Park TreeKeepers Chapter. Email TreeKeepers Program Manager Al De Reu at Adereu@openlands.org with questions. Read more »
- Summer TreeKeepers Course Pruning, Tuesday, June 11Jun 11, 2019 6:00 PM TreeKeepers with excellent pruning skills are requested to help with the pruning practical for the spring TreeKeepers course. Arrive at 6:30pm for snacks. Pruning will start shortly after. Bring your own tools if you have them, but we will have tools for the class. Read more »
For more information on upcoming forestry events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 312.863.6271.